Apricot Brandy Cake

31 Jan

christmas 2013, apricot cake, pan-fried heart 028Valentine’s Day is upon us.  Actually, it’s been lurking in the stores since Thanksgiving. Junior Deerslayer refers to it as “Singles Awareness Day”.  Everyone in our family has decided that it would be a sneaky move for all of us to secretly decide to celebrate Valentine’s Day on February 16th instead.  All the cards, flowers, and candy will be 1/2 off.  The restaurants will have put away their “special occasion menus”… the ones that feature only a couple of entrees that cost about four times the regular price. There are 364 days a year that my dearly beloved can show me how much he loves me.  He lavishes me with tokens of his affection every day.  Okay, most days, pretty often, often enough. No need to run these things into the ground.

For anyone who succumbs to societal pressure and feels the need to come up with SOMETHING before February 16th, try this delicious cake.  Save the $6 for a card, $100 for flowers, and $200 for dinner out.  Prepare this wonderful cake.  prepare a small personal note, and fix a nice dinner at home.  Priceless!

Apricot Brandy Cake Ingredients
 citrus festival, tart 1-28-14 002
cooking spray with flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 package yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/3 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup apricot brandy
Directions:
Sprinkle nuts and dried apricots over bottom of a 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup bundt pan that’s been liberally sprayed with cooking spray w/ flour.smoked pork shank, rum cake, tamales, dance, christmas 048
christmas 2013, apricot cake, pan-fried heart 026
Stir together cake mix, eggs, water, oil and apricot brandy.
Pour batter over nuts.
Bake at 325 in oven for 1 hour or until knife inserted half way between center of tube and edge comes out clean..
Cool 10 minutes in pan.
Invert onto serving plate with a lip around the edge (to collect glaze) and prick top with skewer or knife so that glaze can soak it.
Glaze
citrus festival, tart 1-28-14 003
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup apricot brandy
  1. Melt butter in saucepan.
  2. Stir in water and sugar.
  3. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Stir in apricot brandy.
  6. Brush glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. (It’s pretty tasty! You might want a sip or two.)
  7. Allow cake to absorb glaze.  As glaze collects in serving plate, I pour it back into the pan and reapply until fully absorbed.
  8. Repeat until glaze is used up.

This cake is even better the second day.  Good luck with that, though!

8 Comments

Posted by on January 31, 2014 in Recipes, Sweet Things, Uncategorized

Tags: , , ,

8 responses to “Apricot Brandy Cake

1. Lisa

January 31, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Brandy cake, rum cake…I’m beginning to see a connection ;) Sounds delish.

January 31, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Okay, okay! Variation on a theme. Really good, none the less.

2. Amber

January 31, 2014 at 10:02 pm

This looks deliciou,s and I love your Bundt pan! Mine’s a clunky “nonstick” metal one that refuses to release my cakes from its loving embrace.

February 1, 2014 at 5:04 am

I’ve had that bundt pan for years. I’m pretty sure it was from Wal-Mart. It was Nordicware, though, and inexpensive. It’s still available for 12.95 plus s & h from the Nordic ware website. The website has some very fancy ones as well. The cooking spray w/ flour is what does the trick, though. I swear by it. It’s important to spray the tube part of the pan, as well. Works every time.

• Amber

February 1, 2014 at 9:41 am

Mine tend to stick in the very bottom of the pan, what would be the top of the cake once turned out. The nonstick coating on the metal prevents liquid fat from staying put. I have to use butter, and even then it’s iffy. I’ll be getting a new one sooner than later.

February 1, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Wierd. I don’t have non-stick and mine have never done that when I use the cooking spray that has flour in it. Made the apricot cake this morning and it popped right out.

3. MR Graham

January 31, 2014 at 11:18 pm

I can vouch for this one. Apricot brandy cake beats WalMart chocolate any day.

4. Christine DeBolt

February 2, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Hey Shannon, Sure was fun last night. I am so glad that y’all could come. Your tamales were wonderful. Thanks for everything you did. Christine

Sent from my iPad