All Cooked Up and Nowhere to Go?

29 May

eggs, graduation, quail, nilgai ribs 096Last week, during an unexpected (and appreciated) cool spell,  I took advantage of the opportunity to cook up fifteen pounds of Nilgai rib meat, using my “Cook-All-Day” recipe.  From meat that many hunters would toss out, I produced five delicious meals, right off the bat, and packaged up and froze several 1 ½ pound bags of succulent, cooked meat that will be used in quick meals  during the hot months of summer.

I love cool days that allow me to prepare “cook-all-day” meats.  There’s such a sense of satisfaction that comes from creating delicious meals from cuts of meat that would otherwise be considered unusable.  First of all, the whole house smells wonderful!  The Deerslayer clan has taken to just grazing from the pan of freshly cooked, fall-apart meat on that first night, with a side of rice and perhaps some peas.  The “au jus” can be drizzled over the rice as is or thickened in a cast iron skillet with a slurry of butter and flour.  That was Day One.

Day Two brought  warmed, shredded meat served with homemade flour tortillas with lettuce, vine-ripened tomatoes, and avocado slices.  I provided a side of beans & smoked wild pork shank that had been prepared previously and frozen.

christmas 2013, apricot cake, pan-fried heart 045

Day Three.  I adapted my venison marsala recipe. Since the meat was already cooked, I cut it into bite-sized pieces and added it to the sauteed mushrooms and sauce, and served it over fettuccini with a side of steamed broccoli.  Done!

Day Four allowed me to pull up a family favorite from the recipe archives; Enchiladas with Creamy Poblano Sauce. Deerslayer absolutely loves these.  I served them up with the leftover beans and a side of Mexican rice.  It doesn’t get any better!

2013-02-21 094By Day Five, I feared that I was treading on thin ice by continuing to concoct recipes with the nilgai rib meat of which I was so proud, so I shredded it, tossed in some commercial BBQ sauce and served up some fabulous BBQ sandwiches with coleslaw.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

That evening, feeling content that I had once again fulfilled my role as the Deerslayer’s/Nilgai slayer’s wife, patting myself on the back, if you will, I donned a stunning pair of red pumps and pearls. I had successfully provided the clan with wild gamey goodness for an entire week with meat that might have left for the coyotes. Then I packaged up the remainder of the cooked meat and knew that all was right with the world because the Deerslayer/Nilgaislayer household would make it through the hot months of summer without having to sacrifice any delicious wild game meals!

red shoes 002

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “All Cooked Up and Nowhere to Go?

1. Andy

May 29, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Sounds delish!

2. Mr Fitz

May 30, 2014 at 2:34 am

i love reading your posts! and those beans look delicious!

May 30, 2014 at 6:35 am

Many thanks! Glad you enjoy my ramblings.

• Mr Fitz

May 30, 2014 at 9:30 am

I think they are great!

3. Liz

June 3, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I absolutely love the idea of cooking, packaging and using up in summer. What a brilliant idea. I can’t wait to try this idea of yours. Enjoy the week!

June 4, 2014 at 6:43 am

The trick is to NOT use up all that delicious, cooked meat that positively calls out to me from the freezer. Creepy?

4. Veronica

June 30, 2014 at 9:41 pm

you’re such a clever cook, or rather, a very professional deerslayerwife! haha… keep cooking !