Venison Bolillo Tortas (Sandwiches)
Thinly sliced venison (leftover from a roast), nice and rare
Bolillos (Mexican Rolls)
1 large onion, sliced
Approx. 20 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced (2 bags)
1 1/2 sticks of butter
Tommy’s Secret Salt & Pepper Mix
Thinly sliced Swiss or cheddar cheese (enough for each sandwich)
Spicy, stone ground mustard and/or
Horseradish sauce w/ mayo
(You may notice that there is no avocado in the photo. I make no excuses. Sorry, I forgot.)
- 1. Thinly slice leftover rare venison roast, carefully removing any sinewy and gristly bits
2. Sauté onions in butter in a cast iron skillet until caramelized. Season with Salt & Pepper mix.
3. Because I have a junior deerslayer who isn’t a devotee of onions, I set the onions aside in a bowl while the mushrooms sauté in the same pan. Apparently, it’s okay for the mushrooms to benefit from the flavor of the onions as long as ne’er the two shall meet. If you’re okay with sauteed onions WITH the mushrooms, the mushrooms can be added to the caramelizing onions in the skillet.
4. Slice bolillos in half. Place, cut side down, on a hot, well-buttered griddle. Smear around to coat cut edge with butter and toast until nicely browned.
5. Assemble the sandwiches. Start with mustard or horseradish/mayo spread. Top with venison, sautéed onion (if you can stand it), mushrooms, avocado, and a slice of cheese.
Place sandwich bottoms (assembled part) on a cookie sheet and broil until cheese melts.
Add top of toasted bolillo, slather with extra spread if desired, and enjoy. Delicioso!
All the recipes