Venison Carne Guisada

01 Oct

When I decided that I was willing to consider embracing the lifestyle of “Deerslayer’s Wife”, I received a recipe for Venison Carne Guisada from my dearest friend in the world, Lisa. I truly believe that her input at this juncture in my life was an integral part of my destiny. If I had not received her recipe and if it had not been so popular among my many family members, I may not have chosen this path. Thank you, Lisa.  For years, I have taken batches of this recipe on our yearly camping trip.  It freezes and reheats beautifully.  Do everyone a favor and purchase the flour tortillas that you cook yourself. These, too, can be frozen and thawed for later use. They are available in the dairy section of many grocers, near the English muffins and biscuits.  Once you’ve had fresh, hot flour tortillas, there’s no going back!

Venison Carne Guisada

2 lbs. venison stew meat, cut up (sinewy cuts are okay for this recipe)
2-3 Tbsp. bacon grease (Most venison recipes require the addition of some extra grease or fat since the meat is       so lean.)
3 Tbsp. flour
1 green or red bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 10 oz. can tomatoes (with or w/o chilies to taste)
2 tsp. garlic salt
½ cup water

Brown meat in bacon grease in heavy cast iron skillet w/ deep sides. Add flour and brown. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 1 to 2 hours until tender and cooked down to thick gravy. Stir periodically to prevent sticking to pan. Serve with flour tortillas, salsa, grated cheddar, sliced tomatoes and avocado. Enjoy

7 Comments

Posted by on October 1, 2012 in Hunting, Recipes, Venison

Tags: , , , , ,

7 responses to “Venison Carne Guisada

1. Vicki Elmore

October 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I have a few cuts of venison left that my husband brought home last year and don’t know how to properly prepare them and would love your suggestions. I have a pkg of sirloin steak (enought to serve 3-4), tenderloin, and butterfly backstrap. Any ideas? So looking forward to your insight.

October 17, 2012 at 6:02 pm

All of these are primo cuts of meat. My new favorite recipe is for tenderloin. I sear the tenderloin in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Liberally season the meat on all sides first. Then place the tenderloin in an oven-proof pan and cook at 350 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes tops. You’ll want it rare to medium rare. While it’s resting for the required 10 minutes, toss some asparagus with olive oil and salt & pepper mix and put it on a cookie sheet under the broiler for those 10 minutes. Sometimes, I prepare a side of quinoa, also. Very elegant, kid-friendly, and super fast. I have already posted a recipe for chicken-fried steaks with garlic mashed potatoes. Soon, I’ll be adding a recipe for Venison Parmesean. Welcome to the Sisterhood of Deerslayers’ Wives!

• Vicki

October 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm

We had the tenderloin tonight and it was awesome! The best venison I’ve ever cooked. Thanks so much!

October 19, 2012 at 8:06 am

Glad you enjoyed it! Look for more venison and wild pork recipes as the season approaches.
    The Deerslayer’s Wife

3. Jerry Stolarski

January 28, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Reblogged this on PhoPort.

January 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thank you for sharing my recipe. I hope you enjoyed it. Did you use home-made tortillas (or the cook-at-home ones from the store)?