Venison (or Wild Pork, Nilgai, or Elk) Stroganoff

08 Nov
DSC_0235

It occurs to me as I examine this photo that a sprinkling of chopped parsley might have enhanced the appearance somewhat.

Yesterday was the first day of deer season, and yet, here in South Texas, we’re still having days with temperatures that reach into the 90’s,  It’s comforting to know that I can open the freezer, grab some cooked venison, and go from there to prepare any number of tasty dishes for my family with little effort and not much strain on the a/c.  This is another great recipe that uses “Cook-All-Day” meat.  In this particular case, I used a combination of wild pork and venison which was conveniently packaged up in a 1½ lb, carefully labeled and dated freezer bag, cooked and ready to reheat.

During cooler weather, I planned ahead by cooking up 10-15 pounds of sinewy bits of neck meat, shanks and rib meat in my turkey roaster.  With a little bit of added stock, liberal amounts of salt, pepper, and garlic, and some added fat (pork in this case) I cooked it up for several hours in a 300° oven. The result was delicious, fall-apart bits of meat that would otherwise have been discarded by deerslayers who don’t know any better.

Venison (or Wild Pork, Nilgai, or Elk) Stroganoff

DSC_0215

2-3 tbsp. butter

½ medium onion, chopped

24 oz. sliced crimini mushrooms

2 large cloves of garlic

a little red wine (plus extra for drinking)

a liberal splash of Worcestershire sauce

½ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt

1 ½ lbs. cooked venison (or pork, elk, or nilgai)

salt, to taste

a few gratings of fresh nutmeg

In a cast iron skillet, melt butter and saute onions.

DSC_0220

Add mushrooms.  Allow to render out liquid. Pour in a glug of wine. (Maybe ¼ cup) and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

DSC_0225

In a small bowl, combine yogurt with a little stock or cooking juices.  Whisk together. DSC_0231

fold into mushroom mixture. This will allow the yogurt to blend more easily into the onion and mushroom mixture. Stir gently until combined.

Add chopped meat.

DSC_0229

Heat through.  Serve over noodles. Serve with green beans w/ sauteed onions and bacon and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

DSC_0234

A decent meal.

7 Comments

Posted by on November 8, 2015 in Uncategorized

7 responses to “Venison (or Wild Pork, Nilgai, or Elk) Stroganoff

1. MR Graham

November 8, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I can verify that this is incredibly tasty!

November 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm

It’s always good to have a testimonial. Thanks.

3. Andy

November 9, 2015 at 7:37 am

I like the shrooms so I will probably like this.

November 9, 2015 at 8:59 am

And don’t forget the wine! Let me know if you like it.

5. Mr Fitz

November 9, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Happy first day!

November 9, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Many people don’t understand the significance of the first day of deer season! Hallmark should start a new line of cards!

• Mr Fitz

November 10, 2015 at 1:06 am

I agree! And hallmark cards would be great!