Hunters, Read This Before It’s Too Late!

08 Dec

20171018_175556-917074956.jpg

Okay, this isn’t actually an emergency.  But it IS one of those things that needs to be said early in the hunting season.  Read on.

As many of you know, I’m a huge fan of Hank Shaw, celebrated author of several outstanding wild game cookbooks and my go-to source for anything related to cooking wild game, foraging or fishing.  About a year ago, as I was leafing through my copy of Hank’s cookbook, Buck, Buck, Moose (available at Amazon, walmart.com, and Barnes & Noble) I stumbled upon several recipes that really piqued my interest.  Unfortunately, the recipes required venison shanks.  It never really dawned on me that I wouldn’t have the correct cut of meat needed to prepare the feast.  I’ve always been a huge proponent of using every inch of any animal that my Deerslayer harvests.  And yet I stood in front of an open freezer looking for a key ingredient that I didn’t have.

Thus the warning!  Don’t toss those shanks away.  If you know that a delicious meal can be had, why would you?

20171018_141538-1544354210.jpg

These are the fore and hind shanks from one animal.  They provided 2 meals.

The recipe that I decided to try was Hank’s Braised Venison Shanks with Garlic.

You can find his recipe and directions here.

The recipe calls for the shanks to be browned on all sides (except the shin side) in a container large enough to hold them.  That was tricky.  The only thing I could find large enough to accommodate the shanks was my turkey roaster.  I have to admit that it didn’t work great because it doesn’t conduct heat like cast iron but it got the job done.

Because of the width of my turkey roaster, I doubled the ingredients needed for the braising liquid.  It turned out for the best because the braising liquid is then used to make a sauce that is superb!  There was sauce left over.  You’ll want to use it on leftovers, pasta, anything.

20171018_154353-1930859020.jpg

Everything fits and it’s ready for the lid.

20171018_175153-734974942.jpg

The meat is on a cookie sheet ready to be basted with the sauce I prepared and glazed in the oven for some more time to optimize the roasted garlic flavor.

20171018_175556-917074956.jpg

The masterful photographs that accompany Mr. Shaw’s recipes are beyond compare.  When I tried to serve my shanks “on the bone”, they rolled off the plate and made a mess.  I cut the meat from the bones, which didn’t make as beautiful a presentation, but saved my tablecloth… and rug and clothing.

An outstanding dish…. loved by all.

Save the leftovers.  I have another recipe for them!

Tags: , ,

7 responses to “Hunters, Read This Before It’s Too Late!

1. MR Graham

December 8, 2017 at 2:38 pm

You made garlicky shanks without me?! I’m feeling so betrayed, right now.

December 8, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Don’t forget, I now have a fresh batch of shanks that I will fix just for you! I had to have a practice run, you know. xoxo

3. Andy

December 8, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Shanks are my second favorite cut now!

4. Andy

December 8, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I need to try this one.

5. Liz

December 11, 2017 at 7:48 am

It looks very delicious. Some rosemary, mash and peas. I would eat that anyday!!!!

December 11, 2017 at 8:09 am

When the daughters saw this post, they insisted that I prepare it when everyone is home from college for the holidays.