Successful Hunt? You decide!

16 Nov

2014-11-12 21.06.10

Okay, it was the first day of deer season in South Texas.  For the first time in quite a few years, Deerslayer headed out alone since the girls and I were had a previous commitment.  At daybreak, he scored this very nice ten-point, which weighed in at 185 pounds.

Within the next  24 hours, he added (you better sit down for this!) 6 wild pigs.  There were two pigzillas and 4 succulent, tender, I mean cute, little wild porkers.  What is it they say about too much of a good thing?

It’s important to remember that ranchers in these parts are always grateful to have the feral hogs eradicated from their property.  Wild pigs do lots of damage to crops and land, rooting for grubs and such.20141102_103016

Over the years, as all of you know,  I’ve become a huge fan of wild pork.  The more I use it, the more I appreciate the mild, lean, sweet meat.  The roasts, cook-all-day spicy pork butt and the resulting pulled pork sandwiches, tenderloin, steaks, bbq forequarter, and pan sausage. And don’t forget the fabulous smoked pork shanks!  Nowadays, I couldn’t live without them in beans, split pea soup, etc.   I will always make room in the freezer for some wild pork.  But SIX?

yimg-1130345736-1--681769324

Look at the tusks on that middle pig.

As fate would have it, Deerslayer’s brother was visiting from Dallas that weekend and was lamenting the fact that he had completely depleted his wild game stores.  His freezers were bare!  And with three big, strapping boys, it was a real issue.  Problem solved.  Brother went home with two of the pigs, leaving us with four pigs to process and package up.  Yay!  I say this a little sarcastically.  While I love wild game and thoroughly enjoy experimenting with new recipes, a project such as this monumental task left me a little less than enthusiastic.

20141102_132446

While the pig looks like it’s backlit and in the shadows, it’s pretty well blackened from the flame thrower.

Deerslayer (a.k.a. pigslayer)  had a few monumental tasks of his own before he even had a chance to “bring home the bacon”, as it were.  Hee hee

Down in this neck of the woods, these wild pigs have a tendency to have their fair share of ticks and fleas, which makes skinning them pretty unpleasant… unless you enjoy that whole primal ritual of checking each others’ nooks and crannies for the little critters.  I do not.  Neither does Deerslayer or the juniors.  “Necessity is the mother of invention”, ya know.  So Deerslayer created a device that seared the hair off the pigs while providing a pyrotechnics show of sorts.  Using a flamethrower and propane tank,(yeah, baby!) he was able to burn the hair (and any offending fleas and ticks) off the carcasses.  In the picture, you can see the propane tank and the hose that attached to the flamethrower.

Granted, the smell, I’m told, was less than pleasant but the pigs were hair- and critter-free.  A quick squirt with a hose and brush made the process much less worrisome.  The junior pigslayers and I were greatly disappointed that we missed the “show”.  Apparently, it was a sight to behold.  A display of genius!

We excitedly await the next opportunity to head out to the ranch so that I can do a video tutorial on the “flaming pig” process.  Perhaps it will go viral!

Tags: , ,

9 responses to “Successful Hunt? You decide!

1. Amber

November 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Sheesh, what a haul. We have about 5 more days till gun season, so I want to make it out for archery once or twice before I take the boomstick into the woods. I hope we get something this year. And oh, that pork. If I get to hunt while I’m in Europe, I am hoping to get a try at Russian boar. Nom nom.

November 16, 2014 at 6:16 pm

How awesome would that be!!!!!! How to get it home, though? If not meat, lots of pics. I forgot that you’re preparing for the trip of a lifetime.

• Amber

November 16, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I doubt I’d be able to get the meat through customs 😛 I plan mostly to get the trophy, and give the meat to my hosts. If not hog, then fallow or roe deer or something, and maybe one dinner at least. While fresh.

2. khatch62

November 17, 2014 at 5:47 am

Congratulations! I’ll keep the flame thrower in mind for when the time comes.

November 17, 2014 at 7:02 am

Many thanks…. and prepare for an audience. Apparently, it’s a spectacle to behold.

4. Chris Graham

November 17, 2014 at 8:42 am

Wow! Lots of work cleaning – and maybe a few beers too!

Christopher M. Graham, CIC
    Vice President/Partner

Shepard Walton King Insurance Group
    121 Pecan
    McAllen, TX 78501

(956) 682-2841

cgraham@swkins.com

*a member of the Insurors Group*

November 17, 2014 at 9:02 am

And don’t forget all the pork! The beer would just extinguish the flamethrower!

5. David

November 18, 2014 at 8:01 am

Congratulations to the PigSlayer! I love the flamethrower!!