Clearly, I Need to Share a Wild Pork Recipe.

24 Nov

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 020

For those of you that follow along with the daily ins and outs of the Deerslayer household, you have recently discovered that we have become the proud owners of a plethora of wild pork.  Deerslayer slew 6 wild pigs a couple of weeks ago.  Two went to his brother and the other four were packaged up, labeled, and carefully placed like puzzle pieces in our freezers.

It’s ironic that right before I heard the news, I had found a pork roast from January of this year that I knew would need to be eaten.(I suppose you’d like to know that it was in the freezer.) Boy, was that providential, or what?!?  I found this “cook all day” recipe in the files of The Pioneer Woman a year or so ago and have added it to my “staples” recipes.  I need to say right now that the Pioneer Woman is my hero.  Her recipes, lifestyle, family life, and taste in general parallel my own.  Except that she has a show on Food Network, and a huge cattle ranch, and a crew of people to help her with the chores.  But, other than that….

What hunters need to know about this recipe is that it works for any big hunk of wild pork that will fit into a cast iron dutch oven with a lid. I’ve used bone-in shoulder, bone-out shoulder, hams, roasts, pork butt, you name it. What I love about it is that, depending on the size of your family, this one recipe will provide several meals.  Usually the first day, the meat cooks for several hours, filling the the house with delicious, savory aromas.  It’s virtually impossible to keep everyone’s fingers out out of the pot, after it’s been taken out of the oven.  I’ve learned to roll with it and prepare some mashed potatoes and a salad and serve it like that.  Over the course of the week, the remainder of the meat will be used for pulled pork sandwiches and maybe some wild pork and green chile stew, or enchiladas with creamy poblano sauce.  One big hunk o’ pork will provide the Deerslayer household with three or four meals.  Yay!

Spicy Cook-All -Day Wild Pork

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 007

One big chunk of pork that will fit into your cast iron dutch oven

One large onion, quartered (If you love onion, use two)

A liberal amount of Tommy’s secret salt and pepper mix or any salt and pepper mix

3 tbsp. of brown sugar

Approx. 4 tbsp.crushed chipotle peppers, depending on how much heat you like

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 006

I always use the San Marcos brand. It’s readily available down here in South Texas. It adds a wonderful, smoky flavor to the pork and sauce.

About 1 ½ cups of Dr. Pepper

Preheat oven to 350°. Place quartered onions in the bottom of a large cast iron dutch oven (that has a lid).

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 008

Liberally season with salt and pepper mix a large “hunk o’ pork” that will fit into your dutch oven and leave room for the lid to fit on without touching the meat.  Be sure to season all sides.  Place meat on top of onions.

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 009

Spread brown sugar over the top of the meat.

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 011

Then smear crushed chipotle peppers over the brown sugar.

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 012

Pour Dr. Pepper around meat.

venison roast end, quail ingredients, pork roast 013

Cover with lid and place in preheated oven.  Every hour, for about 4-5 hours, turn meat over in pan until meat begins to fall apart.

The meat will fill the house with an amazing aroma that will render your family members virtually unable to keep themselves from  hovering around the kitchen.  Let them hover.  Make some mashed potatoes and a salad.  Revel in the glory.

Tags: ,

7 responses to “Clearly, I Need to Share a Wild Pork Recipe.

1. Mr Fitz

November 25, 2014 at 1:13 am

brilliant! and six wild pigs? lucky you!

2. David

November 28, 2014 at 10:57 am

Thank sounds like a winner! And with four pigs you will get many chances to make again! I bet that would be incredible wrapped in a corn tortilla.

3. Amy Day

December 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

Made your recipe for Spicy Cook-All-Day Wild Pork the other day and it turned out FANTASTIC! The pork literally fell apart when I poked it with a fork. The aroma that filled my house during cooking made waiting for it to be done practically torturous! Unfortunately I had only one and a half onions in the house. The quartered onion chunks also fell apart during cooking and because they were equally as delicious as the meat, I found myself picking out small pieces of onion just because I wanted to enjoy their flavor all on their own! Next time (and there WILL be a next time!), I am going to double (maybe triple it I have room!) the onion and cut into halves (or leave whole!) so that I can pick the pieces out more easily. My son who does NOT like onions even liked them! My teenage daughter who normally only eats yogurt, cottage cheese and fruit for dinner has been seen “sneaking” a small bowl of the leftovers every day since I made it. My husband liked it so much that he subscribed to your blog! I just want to say thank you, thedeerslayerswife, for saving me the time and headache of figuring out how to deliciously prepare all the game my own deer/pig/if-there-is-a-season-for-it-I’ll-shoot-it husband brings home to keep our freezer full year round. Keep those great recipes coming!

December 20, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Okay, it’s possible that I’m remiss in responding to this comment more than a year after it was posted. Since I responded by phone, the negligence might be forgiven. This recipe seems to be a real hit in our family, too. Surprisingly, the onions are one on the biggest hits. Deerslayer just harvested another wild pig which will go the way of all Spicy-Cook-All-Day goodness. The rest will be destined for Christmas tamales!

4. Kelli McArthur

December 16, 2015 at 1:55 am

Hi, this recipe looks great, I am from rural New Zealand and Dr Pepper is not so easily available, do you think that Coke would work just as well.

December 16, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Yes, I think that, in a pinch, Coke might suffice. The acids in the Coke would work just as well to tenderize the meat. I think, to add the extra little zing to the party, I’d add a little extra brown sugar to the mix. Maybe an extra couple of tablespoons. I believe that prune juice is a secret ingredient in Dr. Pepper. You could toss in a splash or two of that. Now you’ve got me curious. I’m gonna make a batch this weekend with Coke, extra brown sugar, and prune juice. We’ll see how it turns out, eh.